On Wednesday, November 7th, JFDS celebrated Maine BioScience Day 2018 by inviting five local scientists to speak with all of our grade 7 and grade 8 students during their science classes. Maine BioScience Day is a statewide event happening in middle schools in Maine and is organized by the BioScience Association of Maine. The BioScience Association makes all the initial contacts to professionals specializing in science fields that are willing to volunteer to go into local middle school classrooms to talk with students about their research, what they do from day to day and the opportunities that are available for a career in science, in Maine.
We would like to thank the following scientist that shared some activities and discussed their research with our students.
- Kristen Brown, University of Maine, Genetics
- Melissa McGinnis, University of Maine, Virology
- Ek Han Tan, University of Maine, Genetics
- George Bernhardt, University of Maine, Physics
- Patrick Breeding, University of Maine, Bioengineering